Funders urged to show leadership | Philanthropy Journal:
* Hold 2009 grant budgets steady at 2008 levels, a move that could mean paying out more than 5 percent of assets.
* Look for 'no-cost' ways to boost nonprofits, including releasing restrictions on current grants, and thus allowing nonprofits to react to the changing environment.
* Give grantees more flexibility to update, alter or replace programs by providing operating grants; consider providing cash-flow loans or access to credit.
* Continue making high-dollar, multi-year grants, investing in leadership support, and funding efforts to learn and evaluate.
* Engage with key stakeholders to better understand the challenges they face and how funders can help."
Hat tip to Mike Burns at Nonprofit Board Crisis blog, one of the blogs I keep in my RSS feedreader.