Tuesday, February 03, 2009

#71: Simple checklists help grant writers save lives

HOLON, ISRAEL - OCTOBER 15:  An Israeli medica...Image by

Okay, so a checklist won't help a grant writer save anyone's life, except maybe their own, but this article on the benefits of simple checklists saving lives in the surgical suite reminded me that I haven't shared with you the simple lists I use as templates at the beginning of every grant.
The Associated Press: Study: Basic checklist cut surgical deaths in half: "Scrawl on the patient with a permanent marker to show where the surgeon should cut. Ask the person's name to make sure you have the right patient. Count sponges to make sure you didn't leave any inside the body. Doctors worldwide who followed a checklist of steps like these cut the death rate from surgery almost in half and complications by more than a third in a large international study of how to avoid blatant operating room mistakes."
I've mentioned before that I use Basecamp as my collaboration site. I've set up templates of to-do lists there that I then tailor to each grant and client, adding who's responsible. They look like this (these are images, no time to retype):








So, if checklists work for surgeons, pilots, and astronauts, I guess they're good enough for me, too.

Do you have a checklist you use? Tell us about it and how you use it.

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ruth

This was a really informative post. My list looks the same except for the partnership list which I will add to mine.

Thanks

Ruth Wahtera said...

Thanks for the feedback, Scott.

Anonymous said...

We can help you with your grant writing. Affordable flat fees. Check out www.burgessglobalconsulting.com

Dissertation Help said...

This is extremely helpful info!!! Especially since you guys are offering it for free!! Very good listing. Everything is true. Thanx.

Term Papers said...

Many institutions limit access to their online information. Making this information available will be an asset to all.

Dissertation Help said...

it's good to see this information in your post, i was looking the same but there was not any proper resource, thanx now i have the link which i was looking for my research.